- To recant solemnly; renounce or repudiate.
- To renounce under oath; forswear.
- To renounce upon oath; forswear; withdraw formally from: as, to <internalXref urlencoded="abjure">abjure</internalXref> allegiance to a prince.
- To renounce or repudiate; abandon; retract; especially, to renounce or retract with solemnity: as, to <internalXref urlencoded="abjure">abjure</internalXref> one's errors or wrong practices.
- To take an oath of abjuration.
- To renounce on oath.
- To renounce upon oath; to forswear; to disavow. <ex>To abjure the realm</ex>, is to swear to abandon it forever.
- To renounce or reject with solemnity; to recant; to abandon forever; to reject; repudiate.
- To abstain from; to <xref>avoid</xref>; to <xref>shun</xref>.
- formally reject or disavow a formerly held belief, usually under pressure