- Located on the side nearest to the axis of an organ or organism.
- Of or relating to the side or surface facing or nearest to the axis of an organ, such as the upper surface of a leaf; ventral.
- In <em>botany</em>, in a plane facing the axis. See the extract.
- On the side that is <xref>towards</xref> the <xref>axis</xref> or central line, usually on the <xref>upper</xref> side.
- adjacent to the axis, or in vertebrates the notochord.
- nearest to or facing toward the axis of an organ or organism