- 1. One who is joined or associated with another as a helper; an adjunct.
- In France, specifically — An assistant of or substitute for the mayor of a commune, or in Paris of an arrondissement. An assistant professor in a college.
- An adjunct; a helper.
- used in several situations with a meaning similar to <xref>helping</xref>
- A <xref>matrix</xref> in which each <xref>element</xref> is the <xref>cofactor</xref> of an associated element of another matrix.
- An <xref>assistant</xref> <xref>mayor</xref> of a French <xref>commune</xref>