- Loss of the ability to read, usually caused by brain lesions.
- Inability to read, as the result of a morbid or diseased condition of nervous centers not involving loss of sight; word-blindness; text-blindness.
- As used by some, inability to read aloud, due to brain disease.
- More commonly, inability, due to brain disease, to understand written or printed symbols although they can be seen, as in case of word blindness.
- The <xref>inability</xref>, due to a <xref>cerebral</xref> <xref>disorder</xref>, to <xref>comprehend</xref> or <xref>understand</xref> writing.
- inability to perceive written words