- A yellow crystalline derivative of anthracene, C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>8</sub>O<sub>2</sub>, that is insoluble in water and used chiefly in the manufacture of dyes.
- <em>A</em> product (C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>8</sub>O<sub>2</sub>) obtained from anthracene by the action of oxidizing agents. From it alizarin is prepared.
- A hydrocarbon, C6H4.C2O2.C6H4, subliming in shining yellow needles. It is obtained by oxidation of anthracene.
- A <xref>tricyclic</xref> <xref>quinone</xref>, derived from <xref>anthracene</xref>.
- Any <xref>derivative</xref> of this <xref>parent compound</xref>, mostly <xref>natural</xref> <xref>pigments</xref> or <xref>synthetic</xref> <xref>dyes</xref>.