- The usually long process of a nerve fiber that generally conducts impulses away from the body of the nerve cell.
- In <em>anatomy</em>, the body-axis; the mesal, longitudinal, skeletal axis of the body, represented in <em>Branchiostoma</em> and embryos by a membranogelatinous notochord, and in most adult vertebrates by the cartilaginous or osseous centra of the vertebræ and the base of the skull. <em>Wilder</em>, N. Y. Med. Jour., Aug. 2, 1884, p. 113. Also called <internalXref urlencoded="axis">axis</internalXref>.
- The efferent or axis-cylinder process of a nerve-cell. Also spelled <internalXref urlencoded="axone">axone</internalXref>.
- A nerve fibre which is a long slender projection of a <xref>nerve cell</xref>, and which conducts <xref>nerve impulses</xref> away from the body of the cell to a <xref>synapse</xref>.
- long nerve fiber that conducts away from the cell body of the neuron