- [<em>lowercase</em>] A wind-instrument of the ancient Greeks, probably sounded by a reed mouthpiece: so called from its shape.
- A Linnean genus of lepidopterous insects, now the type of the family <em>Bombycidæ.</em>
- In <em>conchology</em>, a genus of pulmonate gastropods.
- A genus of moths, which includes the silkworm moth. See <xref urlencoded="silkworm">silkworm</xref>.
- Any member of the <xref>genus</xref> Bombyx of true <xref>silkmoths</xref>, whose <xref>caterpillars</xref> often feed on <xref>mulberries</xref>.
- type genus of the Bombycidae: Chinese silkworm moth