- An elaborate, ornamental melodic flourish interpolated into an aria or other vocal piece.
- An extended virtuosic section for the soloist usually near the end of a movement of a concerto.
- In <em>music</em>, a more or less elaborate flourish or showy passage introduced, often extemporaneously, just before the end of an extended aria or concerto, or as a connective between an intermediate and a final division.
- A parenthetic flourish or flight of ornament in the course of a piece, commonly just before the final cadence.
- A part of a piece of music, such as a <xref>concerto</xref>, that is very decorative and is played by a single musician.
- a brilliant solo passage occurring near the end of a piece of music