- To reduce or convert a carbon-containing substance to carbon, as by partial burning.
- To coat or combine with carbon.
- To convert into carbon by combustion or the action of fire, or by other natural processes.
- To cover with carbon (in the form of charcoal or lampblack).
- To carburize.
- Also spelled <internalXref urlencoded="carbonise">carbonise</internalXref>.
- To destroy (the vegetable matter mixed with wool or other animal fibers) by chemical means (as a dilute solution of sulphuric or hydrochloric acid) and high temperature (210° F.).
- To convert (an animal or vegetable substance) into a residue of carbon by the action of fire or some corrosive agent; to char.
- To impregnate or combine with carbon, as in making steel by cementation.
- To turn something to <xref>carbon</xref>, especially by heating it; to <xref>scorch</xref> or <xref>blacken</xref>.
- To <xref>react</xref> something with carbon.
- turn into carbon, as by burning
- unite with carbon