- To treat, combine, or impregnate with carbon, as when casehardening steel.
- To carburet.
- To cause to unite with carbon or a hydrocarbon, as when the illuminating power of a gas is increased by mingling with it the vapor of volatile hydrocarbons. Also <em>carburise, carburet.</em>
- To combine with carbon or a carbon compound; -- said esp. of a process for conferring a higher degree of illuminating power on combustible gases by mingling them with a vapor of volatile hydrocarbons.
- To treat or react with <xref>carbon</xref>
- To <xref>carbonize</xref>
- unite with carbon