- The absence of one or more syllables in a line of verse, especially in the last foot.
- In <em>prosody</em>, incompleteness of the last foot or measure of a verse; in a wider sense, incompleteness of any foot in a verse.
- A <xref>shortened</xref> or <xref>incomplete</xref> last <xref>foot</xref> at the end of a <xref>verse</xref>.
- <xref>Truncation</xref> at the close of a line of <xref>poetry</xref> by <xref>omission</xref> of one or two final <xref>syllables</xref>.
- the absence of a syllable in the last foot of a line or verse