- To teach the principles of Christian dogma, discipline, and ethics by means of questions and answers.
- To question or examine closely or methodically.
- To instruct orally by asking questions, receiving answers, and offering explanations and corrections; specifically, so to instruct on points of Christian doctrine.
- To question; interrogate, especially in a minute or impertinent manner; examine or try by questions.
- Also spelled <internalXref urlencoded="catechise">catechise</internalXref>.
- A catechism.
- See <xref urlencoded="catechise">catechise</xref>.
- To give <xref>oral</xref> instruction, especially of religion; now specifically by the formal question-and-answer method; in the Church of England, to teach the <xref>catechism</xref> as preparation for <xref>confirmation</xref>.
- To <xref>question</xref> at length.
- examine through questioning and answering
- give religious instructions to