- The thickened, usually underground base of the stem of many perennial herbaceous plants, from which new leaves and flowering stems arise.
- The trunk of a palm or tree fern.
- In <em>botany</em>, as used by early writers, the stem of a tree; now, the trunk of a palm or a tree-fern covered with the remains of leaf-stalks or marked with their scars; also, frequently, the perennial base of a plant which sends up new herbaceous stems from year to year in place of the old.
- The stem of a tree., esp. a stem without a branch, as of a palm or a tree fern; also, the perennial rootstock of an herbaceous plant.
- woody stem of palms and tree ferns
- persistent thickened stem of a herbaceous perennial plant