- To raise from barbarism to an enlightened stage of development; bring out of a primitive or savage state.
- To educate in matters of culture and refinement; make more polished or sophisticated.
- To reclaim from a savage or semi-barbarous state; introduce order and civic organization among; refine and enlighten; elevate in social and individual life.
- To make subject to a civil instead of a criminal process.
- To place under civil, as opposed to military, control; transfer from military to civil control.
- To behave civilly or with propriety.
- Also <internalXref urlencoded="civilise">civilise</internalXref>.
- To reclaim from a savage state; to instruct in the rules and customs of civilization; to educate; to refine.
- To admit as suitable to a civilized state.
- Alternative spelling of <xref>civilise</xref>.
- teach or refine to be discriminative in taste or judgment
- raise from a barbaric to a civilized state