- The hip or hip joint.
- The first segment of the leg of an insect or other arthropod, joining the leg to the body.
- The femur or thigh-bone.
- In <em>anatomy</em>: The hipbone, os coxæ or os innominatum.
- The hip-joint.
- In <em>entomology</em>, the first or basal joint (sometimes called the hip) of an insect's leg, by which it is articulated to the body.
- The basal joint of the leg of a spider or a crustacean; a coxopodite (which see).
- The first joint of the leg of an insect or crustacean.
- The <xref>basal</xref> <xref>segment</xref> of a <xref>limb</xref> of <xref>various</xref> arthropods (insects and spiders, for example).
- the ball-and-socket joint between the head of the femur and the acetabulum