- A person who usually steers a ship's boat and has charge of its crew.
- A person in a racing shell who usually directs the rest of the crew.
- To act as coxswain or serve as coxswain for.
- See <internalXref urlencoded="cockswain">cockswain</internalXref>.
- See <xref urlencoded="cockswain">cockswain</xref>.
- In a ship's boat, the <xref>helmsman</xref> given charge of the boat's crew.
- In a <xref>rowing</xref> <xref>crew</xref>, the member who <xref>steers</xref> the <xref>shell</xref> and coordinates the power and rhythm of the rowers.
- The second or third mate of a vessel, in charge of the master's <xref>barge</xref>.
- A <xref>rank</xref> or position.
- the helmsman of a ship's boat or a racing crew