- To remove the glaze from (pottery, for example).
- To dissolve the remaining bits of sautéed or roasted food in (a pan or pot) by adding a liquid and then heating the mixture in order to make a sauce.
- To remove the glaze from.
- To remove the glaze from, as pottery or porcelain, so as to give a dull finish.
- To remove <xref>glaze</xref> from.
- To <xref>abrade</xref> the <xref>cylinders</xref> of an <xref>engine</xref> to ensure a <xref>tight</xref> <xref>seal</xref>.
- (cooking) To <xref>detach</xref> small pieces of <xref>cooked</xref> <xref>food</xref> from a <xref>pan</xref> by adding <xref>liquid</xref>, so that they can be used in further cooking.
- dissolve cooking juices or solid food in (a pan) by adding liquid and stirring