- A leader; a chief; specifically, the head or chief pupil of a class or division in some public schools.
- In <em>music</em>, the subject or theme of a fugue: distinguished from the <em>comes</em> or answer.
- The scholastic name for the theme or subject of a fugue, the answer being called the <ex>comes</ex>, or companion.
- The top academic student in a <xref>school</xref>, or in a <xref>year</xref> of school; the top student in a specified academic discipline.
- A high-ranking commander in the Roman army, responsible for more than one legion.
- The <xref>subject</xref> of a <xref>fugue</xref>, answered by the <xref>comes</xref>.