- To supply with necessities such as tools or provisions. <i>synonym</i>: <strong> furnish</strong>.
- To furnish (someone) with the qualities necessary for performance; prepare.
- To fit out; furnish with means for the prosecution of a purpose; provide with whatever is needed for efficient action or service: extended from the fitting out of ships and armies to that of other things, and also of persons either materially or mentally: as, to <internalXref urlencoded="equip">equip</internalXref> a ship with rigging, sails, tackle, etc., for a cruise or voyage; to <em>equip</em> a soldier or an army with arms and accoutrements, or a traveler with clothing and conveniences for a journey; to be <em>equipped</em> with knowledge and skill for a vocation.
- Specifically To fit up; dress out; array; accoutre.
- To furnish for service, or against a need or exigency; to fit out; to supply with whatever is necessary to efficient action in any way; to provide with arms or an armament, stores, munitions, rigging, etc.; -- said esp. of ships and of troops.
- To dress up; to array; accouter.
- To <xref>furnish</xref> for <xref>service</xref>, or against a <xref>need</xref> or <xref>exigency</xref>; to fit out; to supply with whatever is necessary to efficient action in any way; to provide with arms or an armament, stores, munitions, rigging, etc.; -- said especially of ships and of troops. Dryden.
- To <xref>dress up</xref>; to <xref>array</xref>; <xref>accouter</xref>.
- To prepare (someone) with a skill
- provide with abilities or understanding
- provide with (something) usually for a specific purpose