- Slender, curved wood shavings used especially for packing.
- Loftier; more elevated; higher: the motto of New York State, hence sometimes called the <em>Excelsior State.</em>
- The trade-name of a fine quality of wood-shavings, used as stuffing for cushions, beds, etc., and as a packing material.
- A printing-type, now known as 3-point—about 24 lines to the inch. It is too small for letters, but is used for characters of music, piece fractions, and border decorations. See <internalXref urlencoded="type">type</internalXref>, 8.
- A kind of stuffing for upholstered furniture, mattresses, etc., in which curled shreds of wood are substituted for curled hair.
- More lofty; still higher; ever upward.
- Loftier, yet higher; ever upward
- An originally trademarked name for stuffing material (as for furniture and mattresses) made of slender, curled wood shavings, as a substitute for hair.
- thin curly wood shavings used for packing or stuffing