- The act of cutting off, out, or away, as a part (especially a small diseased part) of the body by a surgical operation, the tap-roots or other parts of a tree, etc.
- A cutting off from intercourse or union; a setting aside or shutting out; exclusion; excommunication.
- Extirpation; total destruction.
- The act of excising or cutting out or off; extirpation; destruction.
- The act of cutting off from the church; excommunication.
- The removal, especially of small parts, with a cutting instrument.
- The <xref>deletion</xref> of some <xref>text</xref> during editing.
- The <xref>removal</xref> of a <xref>tumor</xref>, etc., by <xref>cutting</xref>.
- The removal of a <xref>gene</xref> from a section of genetic material.
- The fact that, under certain hypotheses, the <xref>homology</xref> of a space relative to a subspace is unchanged by the <xref>identification</xref> of a subspace of the latter to a point.
- surgical removal of a body part or tissue
- the act of pulling up or out; uprooting; cutting off from existence
- the omission that is made when an editorial change shortens a written passage
- the act of banishing a member of a church from the communion of believers and the privileges of the church; cutting a person off from a religious society