- To censure strongly; denounce.
- To criticize (something) harshly.
- To tear, scrape, or wear off (the skin).
- To flay; strip off the skin of.
- Hence To abrade; gall; break and remove the outer layers of (the skin) in any manner.
- To strip or wear off the skin of; to abrade; to gall; to break and remove the cuticle of, in any manner, as by rubbing, beating, or by the action of acrid substances.
- To wear off the <xref>skin</xref> of; to <xref>chafe</xref> or <xref>flay</xref>.
- To strongly <xref>denounce</xref> or <xref>censure</xref>.
- express strong disapproval of
- tear or wear off the skin or make sore by abrading