- Critical explanation or analysis, especially of a text.
- The exposition or interpretation of any literary production or passage; more particularly, the exposition or interpretation of Scripture. See <internalXref urlencoded="exegetical%20theology">exegetical theology</internalXref>, under <em>exegetical.</em>
- A discourse intended to explain or illustrate a subject; specifically, an exercise in Biblical interpretation sometimes prescribed to students of theology when on examination preliminary to licensure or ordination.
- In <em>mathematics</em>, in the language of Vieta and other early algebraists, the numerical or geometrical solution of an equation.
- Exposition; explanation; especially, a critical explanation of a text or portion of Scripture.
- The process of finding the roots of an equation.
- An <xref>exposition</xref> or <xref>explanation</xref> of a text, especially a religious one.
- an explanation or critical interpretation (especially of the Bible)