- One that is worthy of imitation; a perfect example or model. <i>synonym</i>: <strong> ideal</strong>.
- One that is typical or representative; an example.
- A copy, as of a book.
- A model, original, or pattern to be copied or imitated; the idea or image of a thing formed in the mind; an archetype.
- A specimen; a copy, especially a copy of a book or writing.
- Serving as an example; exemplary.
- Conveying a warning; fitted to warn or deter.
- Pertaining or relating to an example or to examples; containing or constituting an example.
- A model, original, or pattern, to be copied or imitated; a specimen; sometimes; an ideal model or type, as that which an artist conceives.
- A copy of a book or writing.
- Something fit to be <xref>imitated</xref>; see <xref>ideal</xref> and <xref>model</xref>.
- Something <xref>typical</xref> or <xref>representative</xref> of a class; see <xref>example</xref>.
- A <xref>pattern</xref> after which others should be made; see <xref>archetype</xref>.
- A well known <xref>usage</xref> of a <xref>scientific</xref> <xref>theory</xref>.
- A <xref>handwritten</xref> <xref>manuscript</xref> used by a scribe to make a handwritten <xref>copy</xref>; the original copy of what gets multiply reproduced in a copy machine.
- something to be imitated