- The act or an instance of exempting.
- The state of being exempt; immunity.
- An exception to the ordinary operation of law, as:
- An exception of certain property from bankruptcy or taxation.
- The deduction of a certain amount in the computation of net income with regard to taxation, allowed for an individual, that individual's dependents, and certain characteristics, such as blindness or age.
- Excuse from performance of a legal duty, such as release from serving in the military or as a juror.
- The act of exempting; the state of being exempt; freedom from some undesirable requirement or condition; immunity; dispensation: as, <em>exemption</em> from servitude; <em>exemption</em> from taxation.
- In the <em>Roman Catholic Church</em>, a regulation through which places or individuals are brought directly under the control of the Holy See, instead of being subject to the authority of the diocesan bishop.
- The act of exempting; the state of being exempt; freedom from any charge, burden, evil, etc., to which others are subject; immunity; privilege
- An act of <xref>exempting</xref>.
- The state of being <xref>exempt</xref>; <xref>immunity</xref>.
- A <xref>deduction</xref> from the normal amount of <xref>taxes</xref>.
- Freedom from a <xref>defect</xref> or <xref>weakness</xref>.
- an act exempting someone
- a deduction allowed to a taxpayer because of his status (having certain dependents or being blind or being over 65 etc.)
- immunity from an obligation or duty