- To put to use or effect; put forth.
- To bring to bear; exercise.
- To put (oneself) to strenuous effort.
- To put forth; thrust out; push out; emit.
- To put forth, as strength, force, or ability; put in action; bring into active operation: as, to <internalXref urlencoded="exert">exert</internalXref> the strength of the body; to <em>exert</em> powers or faculties.
- To put forth as the result of effort; do or perform.
- To put forth effort or energy.
- See <internalXref urlencoded="exserted">exserted</internalXref>.
- To thrust forth; to emit; to push out.
- To put force, ability, or anything of the nature of an active faculty; to put in vigorous action; to bring into active operation
- To put forth, as the result or exercise of effort; to bring to bear; to do or perform.
- to use efforts or endeavors; to strive; to make an attempt.
- to put in <xref>vigorous</xref> <xref>action</xref>
- to make <xref>use</xref> of, to <xref>apply</xref>, especially of something non-<xref>material</xref>
- put to use
- make a great effort at a mental or physical task
- have and exercise