- The act or an instance of exerting, especially a strenuous effort.
- The act of exerting; the act of putting into motion or action; effort; a striving: as, an <em>exertion</em> of strength or power; an <em>exertion</em> of the limbs or of the mind.
- <strong>Synonyms</strong> Endeavor, attempt, trial.
- The act of exerting, or putting into motion or action; the active exercise of any power or faculty; an effort, esp. a laborious or perceptible effort.
- An <xref>expenditure</xref> of physical or mental <xref>effort</xref>.
- use of physical or mental energy; hard work