- The custom of marrying outside the tribe, family, clan, or other social unit.
- The fusion of gametes from individuals that are not closely related, as in outbreeding.
- The custom among certain tribes which prohibits a man from marrying a woman of his own tribe.
- In <em>botany</em>, the tendency of closely allied gametes to avoid pairing.
- The custom, or tribal law, which prohibits marriage between members of the same tribe; marriage outside of the tribe; -- opposed to <contr>endogamy</contr>.
- <xref>marriage</xref> to a person belonging to a <xref>tribe</xref> or <xref>group</xref> other than your own as required by custom or law
- the <xref>fusion</xref> of two <xref>unrelated</xref> <xref>gametes</xref>
- marriage to a person belonging to a tribe or group other than your own as required by custom or law