- A beginning or introductory part, especially of a speech or treatise.
- The beginning of anything; specifically, the introductory part of a discourse, intended to prepare the audience for the main subject; the preface or proemial part of a composition.
- <strong>Synonyms</strong> Proem; <em>Prelude, Preface</em>, etc. See <internalXref urlencoded="introduction">introduction</internalXref>.
- A beginning; an introduction; especially, the introductory part of a discourse or written composition, which prepares the audience for the main subject; the opening part of an oration.
- A <xref>beginning</xref>
- The <xref>introduction</xref> to a paper or discourse.
- (rhetoric) the introductory section of an oration or discourse