- To make amends or reparation for; atone for.
- To make amends; atone.
- To atone for; make satisfaction or reparation for; remove or endeavor to remove the moral guilt of (a crime or evil act), or counteract its evil effects, by suffering a penalty or doing some counterbalancing good.
- To avert by certain observances.
- To extinguish the guilt of by sufferance of penalty or some equivalent; to make complete satisfaction for; to atone for; to make amends for; to make expiation for.
- To purify with sacred rites.
- To <xref>atone</xref> or make <xref>reparation</xref> for.
- To make <xref>amends</xref> or pay the <xref>penalty</xref> for.
- To <xref>relieve</xref> or <xref>cleanse</xref> of <xref>guilt</xref>.
- make amends for