- The act of expiating; atonement.
- A means of expiating.
- The act of expiating, or of making satisfaction or reparation for an offense; atonement; reparation. See <internalXref urlencoded="atonement">atonement</internalXref>.
- The means by which atonement, satisfaction, or reparation of crimes is made; an atonement.
- An observance or ceremony intended to avert omens or prodigies.
- The act of making satisfaction or atonement for any crime or fault; the extinguishing of guilt by suffering or penalty.
- The means by which reparation or atonement for crimes or sins is made; an expiatory sacrifice or offering; an atonement.
- An act by which the threats of prodigies were averted among the ancient heathen.
- An act of <xref>atonement</xref> for a <xref>sin</xref> or <xref>wrongdoing</xref>.
- The act of expiating or stripping off; <xref>plunder</xref>; <xref>pillage</xref>.
- compensation for a wrong
- the act of atoning for sin or wrongdoing (especially appeasing a deity)