- To remove erroneous, vulgar, obscene, or otherwise objectionable material from (a book, for example) before publication.
- To purge; cleanse; remove anything obnoxious, offensive, or erroneous from; specifically, to free from what is objectionable on moral or religious grounds: as, to <internalXref urlencoded="expurgate">expurgate</internalXref> a book; an <em>expurgated</em> edition of Shakspere.
- To purify; to clear from anything noxious, offensive, or erroneous; to cleanse; to purge.
- To <xref>edit</xref> out <xref>rude</xref>, <xref>incorrect</xref>, <xref>offensive</xref>, <xref>useless</xref>, or otherwise <xref>undesirable</xref> information from a <xref>book</xref>, <xref>CD</xref> or other <xref>publication</xref>; to <xref>cleanse</xref>; to <xref>purge</xref>.
- edit by omitting or modifying parts considered indelicate