- To destroy totally; kill off.
- To render absent or nonexistent: <i>synonym</i>: <strong> eliminate</strong>.
- To pull up by the roots.
- To remove by surgery.
- To pull up by the roots; root out; eradicate; get rid of; expel; destroy totally: as, to <internalXref urlencoded="extirpate">extirpate</internalXref> weeds or noxious plants from a field; to <em>extirpate</em> cancer or a tumor; to <em>extirpate</em> a sect; to <em>extirpate</em> error or heresy.
- <strong>Synonyms</strong> To uproot, exterminate, abolish, annihilate.
- To pluck up by the stem or root; to root out; to eradicate, literally or figuratively; to destroy wholly
- To clear an area of <xref>roots</xref> and <xref>stumps</xref>.
- To pull up by the roots; <xref>uproot</xref>.
- To <xref>destroy</xref> completely; to <xref>annihilate</xref>.
- To <xref>surgically</xref> remove.
- destroy completely, as if down to the roots
- surgically remove (an organ)
- pull up by or as if by the roots