- To shed or cast off (a covering).
- To shed or cast off exuviae; molt.
- To molt; shed or cast some part, as skin, hair, feathers, teeth, or shell.
- To shed, cast, or throw off, as an effete skin, shell, or other external covering.
- To she
[1913 Webster]d an old covering or condition preliminary to taking on a new one; to molt.
- To <xref>shed</xref> or <xref>cast</xref> off a <xref>covering</xref>, especially a <xref>skin</xref>; to <xref>slough</xref>; to <xref>molt</xref> (<xref>moult</xref>).
- cast off hair, skin, horn, or feathers