- Something that fixes, protects, or preserves, especially.
- A liquid preservative applied to artwork, such as watercolor paintings or charcoal drawings.
- A solution used to preserve and harden fresh tissue for microscopic examination.
- A liquid mixed with perfume to prevent rapid evaporation.
- Serving to fix, or make fixed or stable: as, a <em>fixative</em> substance or process.
- Anything which serves to render fixed or stable, as a mordant with reference to colors; specifically, a weak solution of shellac in alcohol applied to charcoal and crayon drawings with an atomizer to fix them and prevent them from being rubbed.
- In perfumery, a substance used to detain from too speedy evaporation a highly volatile ingredient of agreeable odor. The substance so used may itself be inodorous or may contribute to the blended odor of the mixed perfume.
- Same as <internalXref urlencoded="amboceptor">amboceptor</internalXref>.
- That which serves to set or fix colors or drawings, as a mordant.
- A substance that <xref>fixes</xref>, <xref>protects</xref>, or <xref>preserves</xref>.
- Serving to <xref>fix</xref> or <xref>bind</xref>.
- a compound (such as ethanol or formaldehyde) that fixes tissues and cells for microscopic study
- a varnish dissolved in alcohol and sprayed over pictures to prevent smudging