- The common name for the <em>Ulex Europæus</em>, a low, much-branched, and spiny leguminous shrub, with yellow flowers
- A frizz.
- To become entangled, as silk fibers during the reeling from the cocoon.
- A thorny evergreen shrub (<spn>Ulex Europæus</spn>), with beautiful yellow flowers, very common upon the plains and hills of Great Britain; -- called also <altname>gorse</altname>, and <altname>whin</altname>. The dwarf furze is <spn>Ulex nanus</spn>.
- A thorny evergreen shrub (Ulex europaeus), with beautiful yellow flowers, very common upon the plains and hills of Great Britain.
- very spiny and dense evergreen shrub with fragrant golden-yellow flowers; common throughout western Europe