- A Muslim who has successfully fought against non-Muslims.
- Used as a title for such a warrior.
- A veteran soldier of Islam; especially, a title given in Turkey to sovereigns or subjects renowned for wars with infidel forces.
- Among Mohammedans, a warrior, especially one who has been victorious over infidels; a popular ‘hero.’
- Among Mohammedans, a warrior champion or veteran, esp. in the destruction of infidels.
- A <xref>hero</xref> or <xref>champion</xref>, especially as a <xref>Muslim</xref> against non-Muslims; often used as a title.