- One who inquires or makes an inquisition, especially a questioner who is excessively rigorous or harsh.
- One who inquires or investigates; particularly, one whose official duty it is to inquire and examine: as, the <em>inquisitors</em> of the Holy Office or Inquisition.
- An inquisitive or curious person.
- An inquisitive person; one fond of asking questions.
- One whose official duty it is to examine and inquire, as coroners, sheriffs, etc.
- A member of the Court of Inquisition.
- A person who <xref>inquires</xref>, especially <xref>searchingly</xref> or <xref>ruthlessly</xref>.
- An official of the <xref>ecclesiastical</xref> <xref>court</xref> of the <xref>Inquisition</xref>.
- an official of the ecclesiastical court of the Inquisition
- a questioner who is excessively harsh