- A sudden, short utterance; an ejaculation.
- The part of speech that usually expresses emotion and is capable of standing alone.
- Any of the words belonging to this part of speech, such as <em>Ugh!</em> or <em>Wow!</em>
- The act of throwing between; an interjecting.
- The act of ejaculating, exclaiming, or forcibly uttering.
- In <em>grammar</em>, an interjected or exclamatory word; a word thrown in between other words or expressions, but having no grammatical relation to them, or used independently, to indicate some access of emotion or passion, and commonly emphasized to the eye in writing by a mark of exclamation, as <em>oh! ah! alas! hurrah!</em>
- A manner or means of expressing emotion with the effect of an interjection.
- The act of interjecting or throwing between; also, that which is interjected.
- A word or form of speech thrown in to express emotion or feeling, as <ex>O</ex>! <ex>Alas</ex>! <ex>Ha ha</ex>! <ex>Begone</ex>! etc. Compare <er>Exclamation</er>.
- An <xref>exclamation</xref> or <xref>filled pause</xref>; a word or <xref>phrase</xref> with no particular grammatical relation to a sentence, often an expression of <xref>emotion</xref>.
- An <xref>interruption</xref>; something interjected
- an abrupt emphatic exclamation expressing emotion
- the action of interjecting or interposing an action or remark that interrupts