- An unconscious defense mechanism in which one incorporates characteristics of another person or object into one's own psyche.
- The act of throwing within.
- The process whereby <xref>ideas</xref> of another are <xref>unconsciously</xref> incorporated into one's own psyche.
- (psychoanalysis) the internalization of the parent figures and their values; leads to the formation of the superego
- (psychology) unconscious internalization of aspects of the world (especially aspects of persons) within the self in such a way that the internalized representation takes over the psychological functions of the external objects