- To convert or be converted totally or partially into ions.
- In <em>physical chemistry</em>: To separate into ions: said of the solvent in which an electrolyte is dissolved.
- To produce ions in (air or other gas): said of Röntgen rays, of cathode and various other rays, of the electric field, of a glowing metal, and of violet light.
- To Ionicize.
- To convert (an atom or molecule) into ions, e. g. by dissolving in water, by reaction with acid or alkali, or by interaction with ionizing radiation. See <xref urlencoded="ionization">ionization</xref>.
- to dissociate into ions, as by dissolution in water or another polar solvent.
- To <xref>dissociate</xref> <xref>atoms</xref> or <xref>molecules</xref> into <xref>electrically</xref> <xref>charged</xref> <xref>species</xref>; to be thus dissociated.
- become converted into ions
- convert into ions