- One of a pair of vertical posts or pieces that together form the sides of a door, window frame, or fireplace, for example.
- A projecting mass or columnar part.
- An obsolete spelling of <internalXref urlencoded="jam">jam</internalXref>.
- A leg.
- The side or cheek of a helmet or shield.
- In <em>architecture</em>, a side or vertical piece of any opening or aperture in a wall, such as a door, window, or chimney, which helps to bear the lintel or other member overhead serving to sustain or discharge the superincumbent weight of the wall.
- In <em>mining</em>, a mass of mineral or stone in a quarry or pit standing upright, and more or less distinct from neighboring or adjoining parts. Also spelled <internalXref urlencoded="jam">jam</internalXref>.
- The vertical side of any opening, as a door or fireplace; hence, less properly, any narrow vertical surface of wall, as the of a chimney-breast or of a pier, as distinguished from its face.
- Any thick mass of rock which prevents miners from following the lode or vein.
- See <xref urlencoded="jam">jam</xref>, v. t. & i.
- See <xref urlencoded="jambes">jambes</xref>.
- The <xref>vertical</xref> components that form the <xref>sides</xref> of a <xref>door</xref> <xref>frame</xref>, <xref>window</xref> frame, or <xref>fireplace</xref>, or other opening in a <xref>wall</xref>.
- upright consisting of a vertical side member of a door or window frame