- A medieval Scandinavian chieftain or nobleman.
- In <em>Scandinavian history</em>: A man of noble birth; a nobleman.
- A chief; as a title, an earl; a count. The name was used both as a family title and as an official designation. In Iceland, practically a republican commonwealth, it never took root.
- A chief; an earl; in English history, one of the leaders in the Danish and Norse invasions.
- a medieval Scandinavian <xref>nobleman</xref>, especially in <xref>Norway</xref> and <xref>Denmark</xref>