- Yellowish discoloration of the whites of the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes caused by deposition of bile salts in these tissues. It occurs as a symptom of various diseases, such as hepatitis, that affect the processing of bile.
- A state or feeling of negativity or bitterness arising especially from envy or world-weariness.
- To affect with the discoloration of jaundice.
- To affect with the negativity or bitterness of jaundice. <i>synonym</i>: <strong> bias</strong>.
- In <em>pathology</em>, a morbid state characterized by the presence of bile-pigments in the blood, which gives rise to a yellow staining of the skin and the whites of the eyes and to a dark coloring of the urine.
- Hence A state of feeling or emotion that colors the view or disorders the judgment, as jealousy, envy, and the like.
- To affect with jaundice.
- Hence To affect with prejudice or envy.
- Same as <internalXref urlencoded="grasserie">grasserie</internalXref>.
- To affect with jaundice; to color by prejudice or envy; to prejudice.
- A morbid condition, characterized by yellowness of the eyes, skin, and urine, whiteness of the fæces, constipation, uneasiness in the region of the stomach, loss of appetite, and general languor and lassitude. It is caused usually by obstruction of the biliary passages and consequent damming up, in the liver, of the bile, which is then absorbed into the blood.
- See <er>Cyanopathy</er>.
- A morbid condition, characterized by yellowness of the <xref>eyes</xref>, <xref>skin</xref>, and <xref>urine</xref>, whiteness of the feces, <xref>constipation</xref>, <xref>queasiness</xref>, loss of <xref>appetite</xref>, and general <xref>languor</xref> and <xref>lassitude</xref>. It is caused usually by <xref>obstruction</xref> of the biliary passages and consequent damming up, in the liver, of the bile, which is then absorbed into the <xref>blood</xref>. Other causes include increased <xref>hemolysis</xref> and any <xref>liver</xref> <xref>disease</xref>. The discoloration is caused by accumulation of <xref>bilirubin</xref> in the body; bilirubin is normally excreted in <xref>bile</xref> to give <xref>feces</xref> their normal yellow-brown coloration.
- To affect with jaundice; to color by prejudice or envy; to <xref>prejudice</xref>.
- a rough and bitter manner
- distort adversely
- affect with, or as if with, jaundice
- yellowing of the skin and the whites of the eyes caused by an accumulation of bile pigment (bilirubin) in the blood; can be a symptom of gallstones or liver infection or anemia