- A literary work or speech expressing a bitter lament or a righteous prophecy of doom.
- Lamentation; an utterance of grief or sorrow; a complaining tirade: used with a spice of ridicule or mockery, implying either that the grief itself is unnecessarily great, or that the utterance of it is tediously drawn out and attended with a certain satisfaction to the utterer.
- A tale of sorrow, disappointment, or complaint; a doleful story; a dolorous tirade; -- generally used satirically.
- A long <xref>speech</xref> or <xref>prose</xref> work that <xref>bitterly</xref> <xref>laments</xref> the state of <xref>society</xref> and its <xref>morals</xref>, and often contains a <xref>prophecy</xref> of its coming <xref>downfall</xref>.
- a long and mournful complaint