- One of several different fishes, chiefly of the family <em>Serranidæ.</em>
- A very large serranoid fish (<spn>Promicrops itaiara</spn>) of Florida and the Gulf of Mexico. It often reaches the weight of five hundred pounds. Its color is olivaceous or yellowish, with numerous brown spots. Called also <altname>guasa</altname>, and <altname>warsaw</altname>.
- A similar gigantic fish (<spn>Stereolepis gigas</spn>) of Southern California, valued as a food fish.
- The black grouper of Florida and Texas.
- A large herringlike fish; the tarpum.
- Any of many types of <xref>fish</xref> including the <xref>Japanese</xref> <xref>seabass</xref>.
- large important food fish of Australia; almost indistinguishable from the maigre
- large dark grouper with a thick head and rough scales