- A person or thing that is believed to bring bad luck.
- A condition or period of bad luck that appears to have been caused by a specific person or thing.
- To bring bad luck to.
- To bring bad luck to; to cause to malfunction or go wrong.
- A person, object, influence, or supernatural being which is supposed to bring bad luck or to cause things to go wrong.
- A <xref>hex</xref>; an <xref>evil</xref> <xref>spell</xref>.
- A person or thing supposed to bring <xref>bad luck</xref>.
- To <xref>cast</xref> a <xref>spell</xref> on.
- To bring <xref>bad</xref> <xref>luck</xref> to.
- Used after the same response is said by two people simultaneously. Often, a game is played where the person who failed to say "jinx" first becomes "jinxed", whereby they cannot speak until someone says their name.
- an evil spell
- foredoom to failure
- a person believed to bring bad luck to those around him
- cast a spell over someone or something; put a hex on someone or something