- In <em>ornithology</em>, the lower part of the throat; the fore part of the neck, between the gula and the pectus. See cut under <internalXref urlencoded="bird">bird</internalXref>.
- In <em>entomology</em>: A name proposed by Knoch and used by some writers to indicate the lower surface of the prothorax of a beetle
- A name given by Kirby to the basal piece on the lower side of an insect's head, now generally known as the <em>gula.</em>
- A name sometimes applied to the occipital foramen, an orifice in the back of the head, through which the alimentary canal and other organs pass to the thorax.
- The lower throat, or that part of the neck just above the breast.
- The <xref>neck</xref> or <xref>throat</xref>.