- A small, usually secret group united for a common interest.
- A private council or assembly; a combination of persons openly or secretly engaged for a common purpose, especially of a political character; a club of partizans or intriguers; a faction; a cabal; specifically, in <em>English history</em>, a group of leading Whig politicians in the reigns of William III. and Anne, of whom the most important were Somers, Wharton, Russell, and Montague.
- <strong>Synonyms</strong> <em>Faction</em>, <em>Camarilla</em>, etc. See <internalXref urlencoded="cabal">cabal</internalXref>
- A secret council to deliberate on affairs of government or politics; a number of men combined for party intrigue; a faction; a cabal
- Archaic form of <xref>junta</xref>.
- A club, originally used thus by Benjamin Franklin
- a clique (often secret) that seeks power usually through intrigue