- One who has thorough knowledge and experience of law, especially an eminent judge, lawyer, or legal scholar.
- One who professes the science of law; one versed in the law, or more particularly in the civil law; one who writes on the subject of law.
- In universities, a student in the faculty of law.
- One who professes the science of law; one versed in the law, especially in the civil law, such as a judge, lawyer, or legal scholar; a writer on civil and international law.
- a <xref>judge</xref>
- an <xref>expert</xref> in <xref>law</xref> or <xref>jurisprudence</xref>
- a public official authorized to decide questions brought before a court of justice
- a legal scholar versed in civil law or the law of nations